Simple Hustles for Students
Hustling, as defined by urban dictionary, is making money out of everything. Hustle is going against odds to achieve success; hardwork, persistence and creativity. Hustling often requires using ones skills, potential and energy to earn money. As students there are many ways you can hustle and make something for yourself, and maybe develop it into something much more. Find some of the simple hustles below:
- Talent Sale
You can sell your talent for good money. This is the most common I have seen with students who are really hustling to see their way through school. Some of the talents I have seen on sale includes:
- Singing at clubs: Met a lady who does this and she said she makes between N5000 to N10,000 per gig.
- Playing instruments at clubs and churches (most modern churches now pay their instrumentalist)
- Making hair for other students at a fee
- Making ready to wear clothes and sell or designing and selling
- Dancing in musical videos and clubs etc.
- Online paid jobs
There are so many paid online jobs these days. Though this is not common in Nigeria, hence it often requires that you open an online account with PayPal, to collect your dues but it is worth it, so long as you can get the authentic ones (fakes abound). Some of the online paid jobs include:
- Completing online surveys: These companies often require you complete a survey for them within 10mins and you can make between $3 and $5.
- Product testing and feedback: Some send products to you to use then you give feedback and you still get paid.
- Sending emails: Some companies hire people online to help them send bulk emails.
- Online customer care jobs, responding to customers’ enquiries, requests and complaints.
- Online networking such as generating referrals and sharing links on your social media wall for money. Payments often per clicks and people make up to $300/month.
- Recycling/refurbishing business
Recycling can make you good money, if you know how to go about it. I have encountered many students in Unilag, into this and they are really doing fine. Some of the things they venture into include:
- Handsets and laptops refurbishing: they buy old/spoilt handsets at a very small price, then they repair and change the casing, then finally they sell at good money.
- Handout/lecture notes recycle: Complete lecture note/manual are photocopied and sold at profitable prices.
- Compilation of past questions and answers
- Other items: other items that could be refurbished and sold include electronics, automobiles, etc.
- Safe Betting
If you are good with sports and excellent at predicting, this is another way to make extra-cash. However, care should be taking especially knowing when to stop, when to put more and when to just sit and watch. There are so many betting sites now such as Betnaija, Nairabet, Naijabet, Games, Bet etc.
- Online Speculation business
This is similar to gambling but with a very comfortable odds. You buy sites or open sites with the hope of reselling it at a much higher price. People make money in $million doing this business. As a student, you will have ample to time to relate with others and find out what would likely be in demand within the shortest possible time. Read more Online Speculation Business
- Online Trading business
Money market trading online is good money when you mingle with the right players and learn major facts about the business. A friend of mine who claims he is still learning doubled $1000 in less than 6weeks; convert that to Naira, you will realize it is a lot within that short time. It is even easier with new apps that you can use to monitor your online trading both on laptops or mobile phones.
- Part time business/job
There are so many part time jobs that you could take up as a student, depending on your prowess. However, here are couple of part time jobs you can try out:
- Running a home lesson after your classes
- Running tutorial classes for your course mates and those in lower classes
- Teaching talents such as instrument playing, hairdressing and styling, fashion designing, dancing steps etc.
- Setting up businesses you can run after school hours and weekends such as dry-cleaning services, modeling, ushering services, movie editing and subtitling, animal farming etc.
- Social media entrepreneur
As a social media entrepreneur, your focus is on two main things (1) Owning a platform with so many followers (2) Marketing on that platform for money. Be it instagram, Facebook, twitter, Snapchat, blogging or website the focus is the same. The trending topic includes:
- Sex appeal
- Fun and jokes
- Online money making schemes
- Modelling etc.
- Freelance work
Freelance work means you are self-employed but you sell your service to different companies or agencies. Freelance paying works include:
- Freelance writing: you can read more here
- Setting up websites for people
- Modelling for advert agencies and companies
- Body advertising (mascot)
- Graphic designing etc.
- TV extras; for games, competitions and movies
- Organizing events and tours
In school, social life is very important and often money spinning, especially to the organizers. You can make money from this too. You can organize events such as:
- Trade fairs
- Balls and dance
- Shows and movies premiers etc.
You can read more about starting up a tour business
Downloadable version Here simple-hustles-for-students